Adrienne's Wee Chatterbox...Sharing our little adventures with you.

Adrienne Marie Photography is a full service, boutique style studio with a focus on environmental family portraits. Emotion and meaning are the key ingredients.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

It's Small Business Week!

Today was the Business Expo at the Harvest Centre. It's not just a chance to share breakfast & lunch with nice people, (although it is that!) but a treat in the form of interesting guest speakers.
We had Dr. Nick Bontis, who googles the same things every morning, to keep up on what's going on. Maybe he'll find this curiously addicting photographer's blog! Dr. Bontis is a freaking fireball of information relating to knowledge management and intellectual capital. You could say he has energy, the way the sun has gas. His website is quite neat, and full of links. Good stuff for anyone who uses his/her noodle for a living.
He was just plain fun to listen to as well as full of information. He speed reads, and advocates speed reading as a means to avoid being slogged down in the scads of communications blown our way. I don't know about the other ladies, but those penis enlargement e-mails get tossed before I can get to the badly spelled body of the spam.
The lunch speaker was Patrick LaForge, president of the Edmonton Oilers. He was great! Very insightful, and extremely funny.
The week wraps up on Friday night with the Business of the Year Awards. I am very pleased to have a part in it as the photographer for the awards, and as a Silver Sponsor.
*********************************
This weekend is the World of Women Show at the Parkland Pavillion. I'll be there!
Sunday night, as soon as I get my things home, it's off to Lethbridge for the PPOC - Alberta Convention. Then it's all photography all the time. Probably my favourite thing about getting to be with other photographers is the insanity. As a younger person, I was the LOON amongst my friends. The wild one. CRAAAAAZY.
In a group of other photographers, I fit right in. It's like I've found my mother ship.
**************************
Tuesday night is Business After Hours at the Millenium Centre. I was going to have someone staff my table for me, and during my search, the phone rang. It's my friend ( and the world's best Esthetician) Cara Liddel, from Body Contours Health and Beauty Spa. The Chamber has apparently been put in the painful and awkward position of asking her NOT to come to Business After Hours, which she is currently registered for. It seems that the Millenium Centre has a bit of a poo trap on its hands in the form of a spa owner with an exclusivity clause in her lease, and she is vigorously enforcing it. So the way I see it - all the smart kids at the Millenium Centre don't really have any business hosting a Chamber event for all members that ALL chamber members are not allowed at.
That's just my Two Cents. Competition is not a bad thing. I'll get off my soapbox now.
----as a side note, Cara, who is very familiar with my work, and suddenly free on Tuesday, has agreed to be my representative at Business After Hours. Win / Win!
**************************
This week's slideshow brought to you by Lindsay and Ward.
Ward, if she's still laughing like that in five or ten years, you've got it made!

3 Comments:

  • At 19 October, 2006 09:31, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How lucky am I that you are my champion? A friend who is more true would be hard to find.

    You rock!

    Cara

     
  • At 19 October, 2006 11:32, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oooh World of Women, I haven't been to that in a few years. I may need to make a trip into the city this weekend!

     
  • At 19 October, 2006 16:21, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DO DO DO!
    It would be very nice to see you.

    adrienne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home