Adrienne's Wee Chatterbox...Sharing our little adventures with you.

Adrienne Marie Photography is a full service, boutique style studio with a focus on environmental family portraits. Emotion and meaning are the key ingredients.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mrs. Miss Ms.



My very first wedding couple has come back for Couple Portraits. They brought me hot chocolate. I love chocolate, hot or otherwise.
At Heritage Ranch there was this nutty little dog that kept bringing a stick, then growling. It wanted to play tug of war...or, 'hey you; throw my stick! ' I tried to throw his stick, but he hung on tight. What a funny dog.
*************************
I've never liked the word (or non word) Mrs. It's pronounced oddly, looking at the spelling.
I looked it up because my impossibly cute 8 year old wonders where such a goody word comes from. I go to great pains to avoid being called Mrs. Corcoran. It makes me feel like a frumpy old lump dressed in beige Melton, complete with stuffy hat and ugly clutch purse. The unmistakably peevish sound of Ms. (miz) doesn't do much more for me. Mrs. has a happier history - it's short for Mistress. I like that much better. Anyone wanting to call me Mistress has my full blessing. It sounds so much more mysterious...titillating even! Even if it just means that I am married; although, I really like that part!



Etymology: Mrs. abbreviation of mistress; Mesdames from French, plural of
Madame1 a -- used as a conventional title of courtesy except when usage requires
the substitution of a title of rank or an honorific or professional title before
a married woman's surname b -- used before the name of
a place (as a country or city) or of a profession or activity (as a sport) or
before some epithet (as clever) to form a title applied to a married woman
viewed or recognized as representative of the thing indicated



2 Comments:

  • At 12 December, 2006 18:15, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Mistress. We definately should meet up some time..for coffee or otherwise!
    So this Mistletoe thing..was it an event at Festival of Trees? I'm assuming that the pictures were for a nominal charge? Can you drop me a line with the details? I'm planning a spring formal dance for families here and I wanted to set something up where they could have one family photo taken..sounds like what you did?
    Happy Holidays!
    foreverweird@msn.com

     
  • At 14 December, 2006 20:33, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did a little googling and found some info about the Mistletoe Magic. I see it was about $75/daddy&daughter and our dance is $10/family so I guess i'd have to find a photographer who works for peanuts eh? Oh wait, too many allergies--fruit snacks then!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home