Adrienne's Wee Chatterbox...Sharing our little adventures with you.

Adrienne Marie Photography is a full service, boutique style studio with a focus on environmental family portraits. Emotion and meaning are the key ingredients.

Monday, September 04, 2006

What is home, anyway?






The kids & I went home to Sakatoon during the last week of August. I don't know why it took me so long ot put up some images from the trip...maybe I just needed the 'debriefing' time. I'm so torn about 'Home' now that we've been here in Red Deer for over 4 years. Leaving was hard. I grew up there and feel so connected to places there. Things that feel so part of me like the University grounds (where I shot Jeff, my brother, and his girlfriend, Annalyn), or the vast and gorgeous river trail system. So much has changed there, although driving ANYWHERE during the rush hours has only gotten worse. As I was growing up, Saskatoon was no bigger than Red Deer is right now. The road system sadly reflects that 'small city' past. Now there are over 200,000 people there. It's really a thriving place with construction around every corner, entire new subdivisions sprining up. One HUGE difference between there and here is the drive - you can leave here, drive for an hour or two, and BE SOMEWHERE you actually want to be. The Mountains and major cities were definitely motivating factors for moving out here.
Back home, you can drive for an hour or two and still be on bad roads, with little or nothing to do but find a place to go to the loo. As a matter of fact, I had to stop on the road - there are no shoulders for the first couple of hours into Saskatchewan- and use the ditch. It doesn't matter though, because I'm the only vehicle on the road for MILES! There's a lesson in all this...and I think it's that I was right to wear a skirt on the drive out.
After the big sigh over the shortcommings of where I'm from pass, it's still a place I love, with people I love.
We stayed with Cathy and Brad, two great friends who tied the knot nearly five years ago and had their first beautiful baby last year.
I took reckless advantage of her tastey cuteness to create playtime portraits of her.
Josi is Beautiful!

5 Comments:

  • At 05 September, 2006 00:36, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How many times I've clicked "comment" and then chickened out..weird eh?
    I am from 2hrs south of S'toon and we were just there 2wks ago for my husbands grampa's funeral. It sure is bursting at the seams! Hubby wants to move back there some day (to s'toon, not the pop. 5 town we're from) but that very description of driving to nowhere is what keeps me here.
    Lee-Anne

     
  • At 05 September, 2006 10:13, Blogger Adrienne said…

    ooh, ooh! Which Town??

     
  • At 05 September, 2006 15:53, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    His hometown is White Bear which is by Kyle, I'm from East of Kyle.

     
  • At 06 September, 2006 09:26, Blogger Adrienne said…

    That's not far from Lake Diefenbaker, is it? We've gone through it on the way to Swift Current.
    My husband is from Mankota.

     
  • At 08 September, 2006 09:09, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's about 1hr north of Swift. You know I've never heard of Mankota, I'll have to take a look!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home